Friday, April 3, 2015

Slight Modifications to Make Big Changes

     I think government funded state assistance programs are a great help to those who actually need them. I do think we should keep the programs but add more restrictions and limitations to them. Maybe even teach people that these programs are not means for living but just temporary assistance.
     I am a single mother. I work 40 hours a week (sometimes more) and I take 9 hours of classes. I make more than minimum wage which is now $7.25 in Texas (but not a whole lot more in my opinion). I am grateful for my job and my earnings but by no means am I well off. I struggle to make ends meet and pay my bills on time.
     However, I don't qualify for any sort of government assistance because I make too much money. I've been told to quit my job, find a job that doesn't pay as well and to have another kid, because it'll "help". I work hard and pay taxes on a service that I'm unable to use. With my job I see and handle customers first hand who have and use SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) and/or TANF (Temporary Assistance for Need Families). SNAP pays for groceries (anything not pre-cooked) and TANF gives cash on a card that they can pull out and use for whatever they desire.
     Who is getting these benefits? I know that there are truly needy people out there who are unable to work, or don't make enough money and need them. But I also know that their are people who come into this country (illegal or not) to benefit from such a program. Some work under the tables and don't report their income or some people life and put false information to benefit themselves and get more benefits. Other people keep having kids and aren't able to provide for them to keep getting more benefits. (SNAP, TANF and Medicaid)
     I think it's harder to change people, and they way they are, or the way they think. But I think with the right changes, limits and restrictions we can keep these benefit programs and make sure they aren't being wrongfully taken advantage of.

1 comment:

  1. On Friday, April 3, 2015, Stacy Ybarra wrote an article on Let Freedom Ring.. or Type called, “Slight Modifications to Make Big Changes.” Stacy’s article describes how Government funded assistance programs are beneficial to those who are in need, but these programs need to be more controlled and restricted. Stacy explains how assistance programs were put in place to temporarily support the hardships of families and not a long-term fix. I totally agree with Stacey when it comes to people abusing the government system. I have observed people who live off of these assistance programs and choose to not work or go to school and just choose to be lazy. Sorry if I offend anyone, but I think that’s pathetic. Not saying that everyone using assistance programs are guilty of abusing the system, but I’m not naive to the fact that it does happen. I believe the government share the blame as well since they don’t have harsher restrictions or limitations. Why not assist the people that are single mother’s or father’s, working full-time, going to school, who are struggling to make ends meet be helped as well? I feel people who are working full-time and going to school are more likely to wing off government assistant programs than the one’s who are not doing nothing with their lives because they become so dependent on it. It’s time to analyze and revise the system where it could assist the families in hardships, but also help them to work harder to better their lives.

    ReplyDelete